Friday, April 24, 2009

be still my heart...

Marian Bantjes is without a doubt one of my favorite typographers. Her type is beautiful, stunning and makes me jealous. Which I think good design does one of two things, makes you empathetic to how good it is or incredibly jealous that you didn't do it first. Which leaves me here, jealous.

I consider myself incredibly lucky to have stumbled upon Marian Bantjes one fateful day on a tour of a huge print shop in El Segundo. The tour itself was pretty worthless. Being in the back of the group, unable to hear anything the tour guide was saying since the printers were going full steam, unable to even see what he was referencing, I thought the tour was a bust. But at the end of the tour the guide took us to a room full of samples and let us take home anything we wanted - fools! My group cleaned them out. We left with bags upon bags stuffed with paper goods. They had magazines, paper samples, art guides and one small booklet full of Marian's work. A small portfolio packed with her lovely type.

From that day on, I've been admiring her work.
Her typography is not merely just type, it's ridiculously good and innovative design. She's the female Stefan Sagemeister and just writing this I'm increasingly getting jealous. :)

Marian Bantjes


No comments:

Post a Comment